RE: ZWJ+ZWNJ+ZWJ (Was: ZWJ and Turkish)

From: by way of Martin Duerst <tiro@tiro.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 09:04:08 +0900
To: www-international@w3.org
At 15:35 10/10/2001, Paul Nelson wrote:

>Why would you do something like this? These are control characters and
>should not be played with. The shaping engine should set the shapes of
>the charaters on either side correctly. Since glyphs for control
>characters are not normally displayed there is no reason for this
>lookup. Actually, your lookup stuff will not effect the text at all
>because the shaping is determined before you ever start glyphing.
>
>Unicode operations with characters have priority over glyphing.

Of course. Thanks, Paul. That makes perfect sense and I can forget all
about it from a font perspective. Good. Roozbeh had me confused by asking
whether fonts would be able to handle this 'worst thing in Unicode'; I
should have realised that it isn't a font issue.

Can I ask what Uniscribe would do if it encountered Roozbeh's ZWJ+ZWNJ+ZJW
character string? Perhaps it would help if Roozbeh explained why he sees
this as a problem.

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks          www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC           tiro@tiro.com

Type is something that you can pick up and hold in your hand.
                                                   - Harry Carter