RE: Multi-Language Support

From: Yves Arrouye <yves@realnames.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 16:36:23 -0700
To: www-international@w3.org
> > 	<item>
> > 	  <catid>C-2353J</catid>
> > 	  <description xml:lang="en-US">This great summer tire
> > [...]</description>
> > 	  <description xml:lang="en-GB">This great summer tyre
> > [...]</description>
> >         <description xml:lang="fr-FR">Cet excellent pneu d'été
> > [...]</description>
> > 	</item>
>
> The last description would be better labelled as "fr", as it has nothing
> specific to France and is just plain French.  Not being over-specific in
> labelling is better for matching against user preferences, style sheets,
> etc. and also allows better reuse of resources.

<comment xml:lang="fr">Bien vu, François !</comment>

Definitely true. Just a side effect of my fully qualifying the previous two.
Since we're on this subject, note that one of the two English marks could,
in certain contexts, also be marked as "en" only, reflecting the writer's
language bias. If the "en-GB" is turned into a plain "en" for example then
people in Australia will get the right thing.

It is too bad that one cannot write xml:lang="en-GB;en-AU" for example. That
would be very convenient. Is there an equivalent way of having the content
only once for multiple languages?

YA