Re: XML Blueberry Requirements

At 3:20 PM +0100 6/21/01, Misha.Wolf@reuters.com wrote:

>The Blueberry requirements [1] are very thoughtfully written and
>do *not* make any of the errors you describe.  I suggest a second
>reading.

I don't think I said the Blueberry requirements were in error, just
that they're wrong-headed.  The document makes the problem sound a
lot worse than it is. If the requirements actually said just how
limited the problems they're fixing are, then it would seem a lot
less necessary to fix them. My main point is this: the problems being
addressed are small and theoretical. (I suppose IBM's problem is not
theoretical, but IBM can damn well fix its own software without
polluting XML for the rest of us.) There is no justification here for
a new, incompatible version of XML.

|                  The XML Bible (IDG Books, 1999)                   |
|              http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/books/bible/               |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0764532367/cafeaulaitA/   |
|  Read Cafe au Lait for Java News:  http://metalab.unc.edu/javafaq/ |
|  Read Cafe con Leche for XML News: http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/     |