RE: UTF-16 and MIME text/*

From: McDonald, Ira <imcdonald@sharplabs.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 12:50:04 -0700
To: "'Chris Lilley'" <chris@w3.org>, John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Cc: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, www-international@w3.org, phoffman@imc.org
Hi Chris,

I hope you meant to say, XML which is encoded in UTF-16 should
not be served as "text/xml".  XML which is encoded in UTF-8 is
perfectly safe to serve as "text/xml" and SHOULD be.

Oddly, RFC 3023 (XML Media Types) actually discusses using
"text/xml" with UTF-16 encoding ONLY over HTTP transport
(how this could be safe for the receiver AFTER the resource
is moved by HTTP transport is not explained in RFC 3023).

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald