Re: xml:lang - Languagetypes available as modular xsd-file?

From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 11:54:26 -0400
To: David_Possin@i2.com
CC: post@inga-eckermann.de, www-international@w3.org
David_Possin@i2.com wrote:

> We use this site for reference in our approach for Java and C++ with XML:
>
> http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/icu/project/userguide/locale.html

Please note that this is about locales, not languages.  There are many more
languages than there are locales.  Some language tags are made up of the
same parts as locales (language code + country code) but others are not.

> The following table lists all the possible W3.org language codes (which is
> system dependent, this is the MS IE5 list) used to specify various system
> settings:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/language_codes.asp

I don't see what the W3C has to do with this list; it is purely Microsoft.

The RFC on language tagging, which has just been revised to handle many
more languages, is RFC 3066, available at
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3066.txt.  The associated registry (which does
not list codes based on ISO 639, only ones registered directly by IANA)
is at http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/language-tags.

--
There is / one art             || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
no more / no less              || http://www.reutershealth.com