RE: Localization of XML

From: Carrasco Benitez Manuel <manuel.carrasco@emea.eudra.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 15:43:26 -0000
To: www <www-international@w3.org>
For I18N/L10N, the mechanisms are there; e.g.:

 - Character encoding
 - Laguage tagging

Indeed, as XML concerned with content, it has an easier going as
lots of the hard problems I18N and natural language are with
presentation.

Missing mechanism, such as tagging for conversions (transliteration,
etc), could be considered external  to XML. Once they are solved,
it should be easy to integrate. More, if one just expand RFC-1766,
nothing has to be done.

What it is missing are additional standards (or recommendations)
on top of XML to deal with aspects such as "multilingual dossier";
i.e., how to handle multilingual paralleltexts. These higher level
mechanisms would probably used to built multilingual sites.

Multilingual mechanisms could be viewed as an "application"
based on XML, in as similar fashion to CML.

Regards
Tomas