Re: Localization of XML

From: Erik van der Poel <erik@netscape.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2000 12:53:15 -0800
To: "Rolfe Russell D ALSVC" <rrolfe@att.com>
CC: Suzanne Topping <stopping@rochester.rr.com>, www <www-international@w3.org>
"Rolfe, Russell D, ALSVC" wrote:

> Who use's XUL?

I don't know for sure, since it's open source, but I get the impression
that it is mostly used by Mozilla and related activities. By the way,
I'm referring to the open source version of Mozilla, not Netscape 4.X.

> Does it have to go through some engine and convert to HTML to go to a
> browsers?

XUL allows HTML to be embedded, and those HTML elements are handled by
Mozilla's HTML engine, but the non-HTML elements are handled by
Mozilla's XUL engine. Both the HTML and XUL engines use Mozilla's layout
engine, which has been designed to be fairly general.

> If not what browsers currently parse XUL?

Again, since it's open source, I can't say for sure who is using it, but
it seems like Mozilla is the main browser using it right now. There may
be other browsers using it, but not the major ones like MSIE and Opera
(as far as I know). There may also be apps (not necessarily Web
browsers) that use XUL. I'm sorry that these answers are so vague. If
you really want to know more, you can send email to
mozilla-xpfe@mozilla.org (subscribe via mozilla-xpfe-request@mozilla.org
with "subscribe" in Subject field).

Erik