Re: Multilingual Web Site Architecture

From: Anders Bandholm <Anders.Bandholm@uni-c.dk>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 21:13:03 +0100
To: "Suzanne Topping" <stopping@rochester.rr.com>, "www" <www-international@w3.org>, "i18n" <i18n-prog@acoin.com>, "nelocsig" <nelocsig@egroups.com>
The EUN (European Schoolnet, http://www.eun.org) has a language architecture
based on Apaches capabilities in "Content Negotiation", but as a supplement
a set of "static language sites" are built for each language.
(www.en.eun.org, www.fr.eun.org, etc.) As a result, users can have their
browser select the language, or they can select a fixed language.

The fixed language sites are built by copying the directory structure of the
main site, and creating symbolic links to the relevant files. This process
is done by a batch job (takes a few minutes) that essentially simulates the
language prioritisation that a browser would have done.

The architecture allows an individual file to exist in any number of
languages, and still present the user with the most appropriate language
version.

Cheers,
Anders
--