Re: euro entity

From: Erik van der Poel <erik@netscape.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 21:53:43 -0700
To: Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com>
CC: W3 I18N <www-international@w3.org>
Liam Quinn wrote:

> I'd previously downloaded the updated fonts with the euro, but I didn't
> have the updated code pages.  After installing the updated code pages,
> Netscape 4.5b2 and 4.07 correctly render &euro; and &#8364; when using
> Times New Roman.

Good to hear that it's working.

> This seems to further suggest that Netscape 4.x can't
> handle characters outside of windows-1252 in an ISO-8859-1 encoded
> document, since the euro was only shown correctly when it was included in
> the windows-1252 code page.

Yes, we are well aware of that limitation. If/when we use Unicode
internally (and do all the related font work, etc), this limitation
should disappear.

Thanks for all the email! (And sorry that I didn't explicitly mention in
my previous email that we are aware of the limitation.)

Erik