Re: euro entity

At 05:54 PM 14/10/98 -0700, Chris Wendt wrote:
>Liam Quinn wrote:
>>Perhaps it's a Win95 problem then.  I tested with Navigator 4.5b2 and 4.07
>>on Win95 and just got a square with the Times New Roman font.  IE5 gives me
>>the euro with Times New Roman for € and &#x20AC (though IE 5.0b1
>>doesn't support €).  (According to
>><http://www.microsoft.com/typography/faq/faq12.htm>, NT's Service Pack 4
>>includes updated codepages for the euro, but there are no updated codepages
>>for Win95 that I can find.)
>
>The Win95 Euro support can be downloaded from
>http://www.microsoft.com/windows/euro.asp (currently as beta only - it
>includes Euro enabled Arial and Times New Roman and the updated 125x code
>pages but not Euro-enabled MS Sans Serif).

I'd previously downloaded the updated fonts with the euro, but I didn't
have the updated code pages.  After installing the updated code pages,
Netscape 4.5b2 and 4.07 correctly render &euro; and &#8364; when using
Times New Roman.  This seems to further suggest that Netscape 4.x can't
handle characters outside of windows-1252 in an ISO-8859-1 encoded
document, since the euro was only shown correctly when it was included in
the windows-1252 code page.  (Remember that IE5 showed the euro correctly
without the updated windows-1252 code page.)

--
Liam Quinn