Re: euro entity

From: Erik van der Poel <erik@netscape.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 13:06:01 -0700
To: Carrasco Benitez Manuel <manuel.carrasco@emea.eudra.org>
CC: W3 I18N <www-international@w3.org>
Carrasco Benitez Manuel wrote:

> 4.06 seems to recognized the &euro; but it does not display the glyph.
> It displays  a square. I checked it with NT4.

What is the charset of your HTML document? If it is UTF-8, Netscape will
use whatever font you have selected for Unicode, and if that is
Bitstream Cyberbit, I believe that font does not have the euro yet. If
you use iso-8859-1 as your HTML charset, and you have selected Times New
Roman as the font for Western, and you have downloaded the euro fonts
from Microsoft, then it should work.

> The hex &#x20AC;  as in
>    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/charset.html#h-5.3.2
> does seem to work in 4.06 or IE4.

We don't support hex yet.

> For checking, I use the page
>  http://alta.emea.eudra.org/w9/euro/#HTML40

I tried to look at this page, but the server seems to be down...

Erik