RE: euro entity

At 11:34 AM 14/10/98 +0100, Carrasco Benitez Manuel wrote:
>4.06 seems to recognized the € but it does not display the glyph.
>It displays  a square. I checked it with NT4.
>
>I know that the glyph is there because it is displayed by IE4
>using the numeric reference €
>So, probably I must do something else.

Due to a bug, Netscape 4.x will not correctly display any character that
cannot be encoded in the document's character encoding (or something close
to that--Netscape 4.x on Windows seems to handle windows-1252 encodable
characters as numeric references in an ISO-8859-1 encoded document).  So if
you serve a document with charset=ISO-8859-1, Netscape won't show €
correctly.  It should work if you use charset=UTF-8 (assuming your Unicode
font includes the euro).  Of course, using charset=UTF-8 will show up bugs
in IE4--most notably the inability to follow any link that contains the "#"
character--so you may not want to use UTF-8 just to work around Netscape's
bug.

<sigh>

>The hex &#x20AC;  as in
>   http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/charset.html#h-5.3.2
>does seem to work in 4.06 or IE4.

Hexadecimal character references are supported in IE5.

>I did not checked IE5 because I belived that it was beta.

It is.

--
Liam Quinn