"Thumbs-up" symbol

From: Bert Bos <Bert.Bos@sophia.inria.fr>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 15:01:04 +0200 (MET DST)
To: www-international@w3.org
I'm looking for two icons to indicate that something is either OK
(up-to-date, correct, checked, etc.), or not OK (out-of-date, incorrect,
unchecked, etc.). I thought of using a "thumbs-up" and "thumbs-down"
icon, but I'm not sure how widely it is understood.

The "thumbs-up" looks like a fist seen from the side with the thumb
pointing up, the "thumbs-down" is the same upside down. Something like
this:

           _
          | \
          |  |
          /  |
         /  /___
             ____>
             ___>

I know this sign is recognized in many countries, but I don't know how
many, or if there are any where it has a different meaning.

I know the "thumbs-up" could also mean hitchhiking, but the
context will probably take care of that.

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/people/bos/                              W3C/INRIA