Re: or phone:

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 16:16:15 +0200
To: Carrasco Benitez Manuel <manuel.carrasco@emea.eudra.org>
CC: "'www-international@w3.org'" <www-international@w3.org>
Carrasco Benitez Manuel wrote:

> "tel" is the better as in some languages "phone" is not used as the
> original Greek "ph" has been transformed into "f".
> For example, in Spanish is "telefono".

Whilst agreeing that tel is better than phone, I note that in some
languages tel- prefix is used to indicate a wide variety of
non-telephony stuff - it has the wider meaning of remote action (as in,
for example, telepathy).

Thus in French, a remote control is a telecommande and downloading is
telechargement. However, the abbreviation I have seen on French business
cards in front of the phone number is Tel:

I guess I should own up and say that I am less bothered which of phone:
or tel: is chosen, and more concerned that everyone uses the same one.

--
Chris