Re: Arabisation and character sets

The support offered is minimal. It will probably work for simple cases with
Windows, but in general it is insufficient and in no way platform
independent. It also seems to require bidi awareness very strongly, i.e. a
serious application involvement in the display of bidi data, since the
attributes are a property of the display instructions, not of the window.

It is not clear to me how the proposal addresses the display of text with
mixed attributes such as color or font. The whole text must be displayed
with a single instruction if one wants the reordering algorithm to look at
it correctly.

Jonathan

At 13:51 31/03/98 -0500, Gary Adams - JavaSoft East wrote:
>I'm not sure I can answer the specific question about "sufficient
>application control" over bidi text rendering, but as far as I can
>tell, the Graphics2D.drawString() method combined with your specified
>TextLayout instructions (e.g. BIDI_EMBEDDED* and RUN_DIRECTION*
>TextAttributes) would be adequate for bidi applications.
>
>  http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.2/docs/api/java.awt.font.TextLayout.html

http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.2/docs/api/java.awt.font.TextAttributeSet
.html

http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.2/docs/guide/2d/spec/j2d-fonts.fm1.html#6