Re: Arabisation and character sets

À 11:33 01-04-98 +0200, Reinier van Kleij a écrit :
>Yeah, but the philosophy behind the (Netscape) browser was to get rid of
>the OS's peculiarities, right?

More or less, yes.  But they still depend a lot on platform capabilities.

>Netscape should not assume that all files it reads are
>saved with the character set of the OS it runs on...

They don't, fortunately, otherwise even Latin-1 pages wouldn't display
properly on the Mac.

>Again it seems that IE is a little more "democratic" than Netscape: at
>least it recognizes the Content-type tag, so it does not force us to use
>the MS code page 1256...

Don't be too hard on them!  Netscape does recognize the Content-Type, it's
just that they don't support Arabic or Hebrew charsets at all.  For these
character sets, Netscape depends totally on platform capabilities, and this
is very insufficient, not only in terms of charsets.  I've already
mentionned word order when a line consists of more than one element.  Bidi
scripts require support in the application, not only from the OS.  Tango
provides that, MSIE-Arabic too, we have been told, but not Netscape.  Too bad.

Regards,

--
François Yergeau <yergeau@alis.com>
Alis Technologies inc., Montréal