Re: Language labelling

From: Francois Yergeau <yergeau@alis.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 11:03:00 -0500
To: Misha Wolf <misha.wolf@reuters.com>
Cc: www-international <www-international@w3.org>, Unicode <unicode@unicode.org>
À 14:07 23-02-97 +0000, Misha Wolf a écrit :
>>>I am publishing pages with largely Polish (windows-1251) and some
blockquotes in
>>>Chinese (BIG-5). Until Unicode rules the world, how do I go about this?
>
>Tim, I misunderstood your question.  Here are two ways of including Polish
>and Chinese in one document (a) use Unicode, (b) use GIFs, either for the
>Chinese characters or for the Polish ones.  I can't think of any other
mechanism.

I can think of a few more ways:

1) Use Big5 and encode any Polish characters missing in that codeset using
HTML NCRs.  For instance, encode U+0141 CAPITAL L WITH STROKE as &#321;.

2) Use cp1251 and encode all Chinese characters as NCRs.

3) Use ASCII (!) and encode all other characters as NCRs.

Expect less than perfect results in most current browsers.

Of course, this assumes that your pages are in HTML, and amounts to using
Unicode in an indirect way, encoding characters at the HTML level instead
of at the proper charset level.  Buys you time until you have an editor
that can save directly in a Unicode charset.

--
François Yergeau <yergeau@alis.com>
Alis Technologies Inc., Montréal