Re: Web browsers and the new language code for Hebrew

À 13:11 10-02-97 +0000, Misha Wolf a écrit :
>and modifying three existing language codes:
>
>             New code   Old code
>   Hebrew       he         iw
>   Indonesian   id         in
>   Yiddish      yi         ji

>What I want to raise is a very particular problem: Two of the browsers that
>handle Hebrew (maybe this should read "The two browsers that handle
>Hebrew"), recognise the old language code ("iw") but not the new one ("he").

Blame all the outdated copies of ISO 639 out there on the Web!  I only
became aware of the changed codes recently, too late for Tango 3.0.

>This is very worrying.  I hope the vendors will speedily enhance their
>products to recognise both the old and new codes.

It should be in Tango 3.1.

>This leaves us with a very specific problem in regard to the IUC10 Web pages
>at <http://www.reuters.com/unicode/iuc10>.  Should we use the old code for
>Hebrew, so that the browsers recognise it and display it...

You don't really need the language code to get it to display properly, only
the charset and some strategically placed DIR attributes.

>We have deferred publishing the
>Hebrew, Arabic and Yiddish texts until we know how to resolve this (and some
>other problems).

What's holding up the Arabic?

Regards,

--