Re: Web browsers and the new language code for Hebrew

On Feb 10,  9:05pm, Koen Holtman wrote:

> Why does these browsers need to know the language to render the script?
>
> (Martin J. Duerst suggested text-to-speech conversion as one option.  Does
> that apply here?)

Assuming the browsers in question are visually based, no. There are cases
where knowing the the language is essential for visual rendering, for
example for selecting an appropriate font (eg CJK), or desirable, eg
selecting a hyphenation dictionary, etc.

So in this instance I suspect that the language information is not
essential. That does not, of course, help in deciding what value to
put in the Content-Language header when returning the document.