Re: Translated IUC10 Web pages: Experimental Results

<http://www.reuters.com/unicode/iuc10/x-ncr.html>).

>The second scheme is intriguing as it does not require the use of any
>octets over 127 decimal (7F hex).  Accordingly, it is legal to to label
>such a file as, eg, US-ASCII, ISO-8859-1, X-SJIS, or any other "charset"
>which has ASCII as a subset.  Browser vendors: Please check your products
>against the pages referenced above.
>
>>[snip]
>
>Regards,
>Misha

I do not understand why it is more complicated to use UCS-2 than any other
scheme (apart from the little-endian problem, which should be deprecated in
the state of the art of the XXIth Century, it is a patch!) The web requires
8- bits-per-octet encoding (thank God! otherwise even UTF-8 would not work)
as its default character set is ISO/IEC 8859-1. A wise implementer should
implement at least:

        -Latin 1
        -UTF-8
        -entity names
        -UCS-2 (big-endian at least, little-endian as a patch if indicated
                clearly!)

Anyway the logic, one the source data has been normalized, should be the
same after all. I am pretty sure nobody uses UTF-8 or even entity names as
its canonical processing encoding... That would be a nonsense. But who
knows, masochism exists, I know (:

Alain LaBonté       (version : 8 bits ---  (-:                         )
Alain LaBont/e'/    (version : 7 bits ---  )<:= !@#$%?&*()_+-=^~',."!!!)