Re: Why <FONT FACE> is bad for i18n

From: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1997 15:47:34 +0100
To: www-international@w3.org
Francois Yergeau wrote:

> I wrote up a little page explaining why the <FONT> tag with FACE
> attribute is not a good idea for i18n (apart from its other problems).
> Take a look at:
>
>  http://babel.alis.com:8080/web_ml/html/fontface.html
>
> or
>
>  http://www.isoc.org:8080/web_ml/html/fontface.html
>
> Comments welcome, of course.

Thanks for a well-argued article. There is hope, however:

When we designed CSS1, we took care to deal with the issue of font and
document encodings. An application that uses CSS1 can no longer use font
changes to make text masquerade as being in a different script than it
really is.

Of course, W3C cannot enforce anything. But CSS1 is a W3C Recommendation
and we have good hopes that Web tool makers will create CSS1 compliant
products.

(See http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/REC-CSS1-961217.html#font-properties
and http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/REC-CSS1-961217.html#appendix-c)

Bert