Re: ISO 639-2 3-letter language codes and RFC 1766

At 18:49 +0100 1997-01-22, Chris Lilley wrote:

>I dispute that. I have always heard the language referred to as Scots Gaelic,
>never Scottish Gaelic.
>
>I appreciate that there is the potential of confusion with the entirely
>different language Scots, but there we are.

Marion is right, Chris. In general people call "Gàidhlig" 'Gaelic'. But the
fullest form of the language's name is "Gàidhlig na h-Alba" 'Gaelic of
Scotland' or 'Scottish Gaelic'. Compare, please, "Gaeilge na hÉireann"
'Gaelic of Ireland' or 'Irish Gaelic' and "Gaelg Vannin" 'Gaelic of Man' or
'Manx Gaelic'.

While Scottish Gaelic has been called Scots Gaelic in the past, the term
Scottish Gaelic is more correct, and generally becoming more widespread
these days. ISO 639 should use this terms, particularly to avoid confusion
with the Germanic language Scots.

--
Michael Everson, Everson Gunn Teoranta
15 Port Chaeimhghein Íochtarach; Baile Átha Cliath 2; Éire (Ireland)