Re: Translations

From: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 09:36:11 +0100 (MET)
To: carrasco@innet.lu (M.T. Carrasco Benitez)
Cc: www-international@www10.w3.org
M.T. Carrasco Benitez:

>1) Defining a nomenclature that allows for translation cost little to
>HTTP and could be very useful in translation.  Example:
>
> it-ht   (Italian, human translation)
> it-mt   (Italian, machine translation)

You seem to be working from the assumption that HTTP can be changed easily
at this point.  It cannot be changed easily: people do not want to touch 1.1
anymore, and work on a successor version has not really started yet.  You
could also get these tags into HTTP by revising the language tags RFC, but I
think that is even more difficult.

So if you want to define translation mechanisms, you should define them _on
top of_ HTTP/1.1.  You cannot put new stuff _in_ HTTP/1.1.

[...]
>5) The Accept-Language should be a ordered "preference list".  There is no
>need to quantify the preference of the user.

There is a great need for q values in all Accept-* headers, including
Accept-Language.  Without these values, there is not way for the user to
express a ranking between the preferences sent in different Accept-*
headers.  I talked about this earlier on this list.  See

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/msg00471.html

for a reference.

>Tomas

Koen.