Linguistics versions

From: Gary Adams - Sun Microsystems Labs BOS <gra@zeppo.East.Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 09:53:47 -0500
To: "M.T. Carrasco Benitez" <carrasco@innet.lu>
Cc: WInter <www-international@www10.w3.org>
M. T. Carrasco Benitez writes:
 > How should the server send the list of available linguistic versions:
 >
 >  1) Alterates
 >
 >  2) Content-Language
 >     Could be confusing as it would be the languages in the document and
 >     the available linguistic versions.
 >
 > Tomas

I think there is a fairly good proposal for handling variants of
monolingual documents in the transparent content negotiation
specification.

http://gewis.win.tue.nl/~koen/conneg/draft-holtman-http-negotiation-04.cm.html

What may be missing is a way to describe a multilingual compositional
document. e.g. This document is mostly English but contains a
paragraph of Chinese text. Assuming the charset and language headers
and tags have been declared properly, what must the browser do to be
alerted to the fact that multiple fonts may be required in the
rendering of the document? Is this even an issue? If the browser
accepts RFC2070 documents then it must have a means of rendering the
potentially unknown glyphs.