Server data struc

M. T. Carrasco Benitez writes:
 > Should it be defined a data structure to keep the linguistics versions in
 > the server side.
 >
 > Tomas

Is this question about how to standardize on a common implementation
for servers addressing multiple variants of the same document. In the
past people have used a filename extension, an alternate directory
path, an alternate server/port to identify variants. All of these
solutions were based on "addressing" in that they changed the URL.
e.g fromage vs. cheese

The content negotiated approach leaves the name space intact, but uses
attributes (parameters) of the request to select the appropriate
variant. e.g. cheese(swiss) vs. cheese(cheddar)

Since some servers are built on top of filesystems and other
servers are built on top of databases. I don't think a "data
structure" would be the appropriate form for registering the
linguistic versions.

Recently, I began using the Jeeves http server. In that environment
subclassing the basic http request to include Language support
(similar to what has already been done with MIME support) would be a
natural extension of the current Java classes. (Don't take my bias as
hype, but as an example of something that is neither a file system or
a database that will need to comply with RFC2070 in HTML 3.X )

http://www.javasoft.com/products/java-server/alpha2/doc/architecture/
http://www.javasoft.com/products/java-server/alpha2/doc/apidoc/sun.server.http.HttpServletContext.html