Re: Help on multilinguality on systems

From: Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@vega.aichi-u.ac.jp>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 02:32:04 +0900
To: www-international@w3.org
Abboud.Assimi@imag.fr (Abdel-Basset al-ASSIMI, GETA-CLIPS-IMAG) wrote:

>2- Do you know some of real "text/document processors" (on these
>plate-forms) that are  really multilingual, i.e. which allow to edit
>several languages (from diffrent writing systems: romain, arabic, japanese,
>thai, etc.) in the same document?

Mule (MULtilingual Enhancement to GNU Emacs) does. Mule can handle
multilingual text, that is. it can contain many languages, such as
Latin languages (English, French, German, Spanish, ...), Arabic, Hebrew,
Amharic (Ethiopian language), Greek, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Korean,
Thai, Vietnamese, in the same document. Support for Lao, Indian, and
Tibet are coming soon. Mule is free software, and quite open. You can
even enhance its language support for yourself!

You can get Mule from <URL:ftp://etlport.etl.go.jp/pub/mule> or
many other sites. Dr. Handa and other authors of Mule are now working
for merging Mule with GNU Emacs.

>3- What do I need on my system (MacOS, Windows95, Unix) to write and read
>multilingual HTML documents on Web, and where can I find these resources or
>softwares?

On Unix platform, you can use Mule with Emacs-w3, or GNUscape Navigator,
which is a WWW client written by elisp. Some people are writing and reading
multilingual web pages by Mule. You can get information about
Emacs-w3 from <URL:http://www.cs.indiana.edu/elisp/w3/docs.html>.

On Windows platform, Alis `Tango' is a nice solution. It can handle
more than 90 languages. For more information, see
<URL:http://www.alis.com/>.

--
Masayasu Ishikawa