Re: charset issues

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 10:28:53 PST
To: lee@sq.com
CC: Drazen.Kacar@public.srce.hr, J.Larmouth@iti.salford.ac.uk, www-international@w3.org
# If HTML could be changed, perhaps an attribute on the FORM would
# make more sense?

You're right. Actually, I changed the example while I sent the mail,
and broke it. For backward compatibility, you probably want something
like:

  <INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=charset
	VALUE="&#128;&#256;&#512;&#1024;">

where older (but conformant) browsers would take the characters
numeric character references, translates them into the charset used
for encoding the form, encode the resulting octets into
x-www-form-urlencoded using hex encoding. With a sufficient selection
appropriate numeric character references, you could probably reverse
engineer which charset was actually used.

Larry