Y diaeresis (Re: HTML - i18n / NCR & charsets)

From: <Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no>
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 1996 23:41:23 +0100
To: Peter Flynn <pflynn@curia.ucc.ie>
cc: rosenne@NetVision.net.il, davidp@earthlink.net, www-html@w3.org, www-international@w3.org, unicode@unicode.org, collins@alphabet.com
Peter Flynn said:

>   >   9F (159) -- &Yuml; -- Ydieresis
>   >
>   >Y diaeresis is a non-existent character, according to the experts on
>   >TYPO-L, who have just discussed this in depth.
>
>   According to the rules, a character cannot be deleted from UCS. So it has to
>   stay with us.
>
>Quite possibly, but we should understand that it should be flagged as
>non-existent (so it can be reused :-) and an example of how easily
>these things can get taken as gospel once they're committed to paper
>and circulated to those who vote on these things in Geneva.

Gospel....?

My notes (http://domen.uninett.no/~hta/ietf/lang-chars.html) seem
to indicate that Johan van Wingen thought Y diaeresis was used in
Welsh, but that this was doubted by Paulo Alexandre Rocha
<parocha@kha.ncc.up.pt>.

Price Collins <collins@alphabet.com> notes that y: is needed in modern
French in the legal name of the town Hayes-sur-Seine.  (There's an
umlaut over the Y).

It seems that a lot of the time, one man's gospel is another man's lie.
Just like the rest of human-based knowledge....
(Is there anyone living near Hayes-sur-Seine who can refute this?)

               Harald T. Alvestrand