Re: HTML - i18n / NCR & charsets

From: Peter Flynn <pflynn@curia.ucc.ie>
Date: 30 Nov 1996 22:39:14 +0000 (GMT)
To: rosenne@NetVision.net.il
Cc: davidp@earthlink.net, www-html@w3.org, www-international@w3.org, unicode@unicode.org
   >   9F (159) -- &Yuml; -- Ydieresis
   >Y diaeresis is a non-existent character, according to the experts on
   >TYPO-L, who have just discussed this in depth.

   According to the rules, a character cannot be deleted from UCS. So it has to
   stay with us.

Quite possibly, but we should understand that it should be flagged as
non-existent (so it can be reused :-) and an example of how easily
these things can get taken as gospel once they're committed to paper
and circulated to those who vote on these things in Geneva.