Re: Clarification of discussion

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 08:25:25 PST
To: Chris.Lilley@sophia.inria.fr
CC: mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch, avine@dakota-76.eng.sun.com, www-international@w3.org
> (1) Put the burden on the user.
> (2) Put the burden on the rendering engine (which has to treat as
> 	equivalent those two (in some cases even more) representations).
> (3) Define some kind of preferred encoding, and require that all CLASS
> 	names use it, so that comparison is simple.
> (4) Use only characters where there is no such problem.

Always do (4): use only characters where there is no problem.  You can
gradually turn case (3) into case (4) ("everyone agrees about the
preferred encoding, so there's no problem.").

Example:
  Lower case ASCII is the preferred encoding of upper-case ASCII.

Now we have case-equivalence; no problem.

Larry