qa-byte-order-mark + qa-utf8-bom (was: Re: update de qa-byte-order-mark & language negotiation bug)

From: Gunnar Bittersmann <gunnar@bittersmann.de>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 11:12:12 +0100
To: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
CC: www-i18n-comments@w3.org
Hi Richard,
AFAIS, the previous version of qa-byte-order-mark “The byte-order mark
(BOM) in HTML” and the late qa-utf8-bom “Display problems caused by the
UTF-8 BOM” have become the content of just one article: the current
qa-byte-order-mark “The byte-order mark (BOM) in HTML”.

There are some problems:

(1) The same content is available under two different URIs
http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-byte-order-mark and
http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-utf8-bom which is not good.
It shold be a redirect from qa-utf8-bom to qa-byte-order-mark with HTTP
status code 301 Moved Permanently.

(2) The article appears twice in the article list
http://www.w3.org/International/articlelist#characters under different
names.

(3) Translations of qa-utf8-bom are lost. The link “Display problems
caused by the UTF-8 BOM” leads to the content of “The byte-order mark
(BOM) in HTML” for all translations, but there are no display problems
featured in the article since translations of qa-byte-order-mark have
only the original content.

The temporarily best solution might be to reinstall the translations of
qa-utf8-bom [1] and to set up a redirect just for the English version,
i.e. from qa-utf8-bom.en(.php) to qa-byte-order-mark.en(.php).

When translations of qa-byte-order-mark will be updated [2], set up a
redirect for those languages as well.

[1] My old German translation of qa-utf8-bom attached, in case you need it.

[2] I have already asked you to send me the source file of the current
version of qa-byte-order-mark.

Cheers,
Gunnar