[Comment on WS-I18N WD]

From: Dan Chiba <dan.chiba@oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 19:24:43 -0700
To: www-i18n-comments@w3.org

The WS-I18N draft specifically defines locale and timezone as element
information items.

Is it possible to consider defining several other commonly used elements
as well?

Here is a list of items that we think are common:

  1. Locale (already defined)
  2. Timezone (already defined)
  3. Language (used when UI language is different from the language
deduced from the UI locale. e.g. "de" for German language, "fr-CH" for
Switzerland/French locale)
  4. Collation (based on the IANA collation registry)
  5. Charset (based on the IANA character set registry; for limited use,
generally discouraged)
  6. Date/Time Formats (based on LDML syntax)
  7. Number Format (based on LDML syntax)
  8. Currency Format (based on LDML syntax)
  9. Calendar (based on LDML calendar type?)

WS-I18N's defining more elements would enhance interoperability
significantly. For example, they could include the followings, then it
would be easier to coordinate the services and produce the desired
application behavior.

It would be desirable for service implementors to use standard items so
that the implementations will be compatible with others.

-Dan Chiba
Oracle Globalization Technology