Re: Comment on LTLI WD: purpose?

My suggested rewrite:

OLD

Language and locale values are values which are compliant to [RFC
3066bis] <http://www.w3.org/International/core/langtags/#rfc3066bis>.
Their purpose is

   1.

      the identification of a human language, whether spoken, written,
      signed, or otherwise signaled, for the purpose of communication.

   2.

      the identification of a locale, that is a collection of
      international preferences, generally related to a geographic
      region that a (certain category) of users require. These are
      usually identified by a shorthand identifier or token that is
      passed from the environment to various processes to get culturally
      affected behavior.

Language and locale are distinct properties. Language is a core
component of locale, but a locale can identify information that is not
associated with language, such as a timezone. Thus the terms language
and locale should not be used interchangeably, although there is a close
relationship between these properties. Syntactically, locale IDs are
sometimes distinguished from language IDs by the use of "|_|" instead of
"|-|", but this syntactic distinction cannot be relied upon.
Historically, locale IDs sometimes included charset parameters - that
usage is strongly discouraged.

NEW

Language identifiers follow the specification in [RFC 3066bis]
<http://www.w3.org/International/core/langtags/#rfc3066bis> (where they
are called language tags). Their purpose is the identification of a
human language, whether spoken, written, signed, or otherwise signaled,
for the purpose of communication.

Locale identifiers are used to identify a collection of international
preferences, often related to a geographic region that a certain
category of users require. Syntactically, locale identifiers follow the
same structure as language identifiers ([RFC 3066bis]
<http://www.w3.org/International/core/langtags/#rfc3066bis>) except that
they may contain extensions, and are sometimes distinguished from
language identifiers by the use of "|_|" as a separator instead of
"|-|". (However, this syntactic distinction cannot be relied upon, so
implementations should be lenient in accepting either separator.)

Language and locale are distinct entities. The language is a core
component of locale, but a locale can also identify information that is
not associated with language, such as a timezone. Thus the terms
language and locale should not be used interchangeably, although there
is a close relationship between these properties. Historically, locale
identifiers sometimes included charset parameters - that usage is
strongly discouraged.