FW: Comment on " Authoring Techniques for XHTML & HTML Internationalization: Handling Bidirectional Text"

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 18:55:26 +0100
To: <www-i18n-comments@w3.org>

-----Original Message-----
From: Shoshannah Forbes [mailto:xslf@xslf.com]
Sent: 12 May 2004 19:46
To: ishida@w3.org
Subject: Comment on " Authoring Techniques for XHTML & HTML
Internationalization: Handling Bidirectional Text"

Hi.
I just went trough the article you edited titled "Authoring Techniques for
XHTML & HTML Internationalization: Handling Bidirectional Text"
http://www.w3.org/TR/i18n-html-tech-bidi/

I was surprised to see ie5/mac listed in the list of browsers- It has no
support for RTL text (it ignores dir=rtl), and it doesn't even display
Hebrew characters at all (regardless of encoding).

Also, Opera added support to bidi text only in version 7.20, and not 7.0

Speaking of encodings- IMHO it should be mentioned that if you want to
include Hebrew diacritics in the text, the encoding needs to be
windows-1255 or utf-8, as iso-8859-8-i does not include diacritical marks.

Best regards,
Shoshannah Forbes
--
http://www.xslf.com