mapping between character codes and units of displayed text

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 05:34 +0900
To: www-i18n-comments@w3.org
Cc: ij@w3.org (Ian Jacobs)
This is a last call comment from Ian Jacobs (ij@w3.org) on
the Character Model for the World Wide Web 1.0
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-charmod-20020430/).

Semi-structured version of the comment:

Submitted by: Ian Jacobs (ij@w3.org)
Submitted on behalf of (maybe empty):
Comment type: editorial
Chapter/section the comment applies to: 3.1.3 Units of visual rendering
The comment will be visible to: public
Comment title: mapping between character codes and units of displayed text
Comment:
In "[S] [I] Specifications and software MUST NOT assume a one-to-one mapping between character codes and units of displayed text.", does 'character codes'
mean characters or character codes or both?
Please clarify.

Structured version of  the comment:

<lc-comment
  visibility="public" status="pending"
  decision="pending" impact="editorial">
  <originator email="ij@w3.org" represents=""
      >Ian Jacobs</originator>
  <charmod-section
      href="http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-charmod-20020430/#sec-VisualRenderingUnits"
    >3.1.3</charmod-section>
  <title>mapping between character codes and units of displayed text</title>
  <description>
    <comment>
      <dated-link date="2002-04-24"
        >mapping between character codes and units of displayed text</dated-link>
      <para>In "[S] [I] Specifications and software MUST NOT assume a one-to-one mapping between character codes and units of displayed text.", does 'character codes'
mean characters or character codes or both?
Please clarify.</para>
    </comment>
  </description>
</lc-comment>