RE: proposed charter items for possible URI working group

From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 18:40:50 -0700
To: "'William A. Rowe, Jr.'" <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>, "'Chris Haynes'" <chris@harvington.org.uk>
Cc: <uri@w3.org>, <www-i18n-comments@w3.org>

I think you're asking a fairly confusing question.

I was asked to propose a charter for a group to update
the URI spec, and I proposed *NOT* introducing -- into
the same specification -- the IRI concepts. An IRI isn't
a URI, it's something else. They're related, but different.

Whether one wants to create a version of HTTP which
uses IRIs instead of URIs is a completely separate
issue which the IRI group might consider but would
be out of scope for the URI update.

Since "uri@w3.org" seems to be open to more general
discussions, perhaps we need another list whose focus
is the narrower topic of URI update.

Larry