Re: proposed charter items for possible URI working group

From: Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 21:56:14 -0500
Cc: <www-i18n-comments@w3.org>, <uri@w3.org>
To: "Larry Masinter" <LMM@acm.org>, "Roy Fielding" <fielding@apache.org>, "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>

Larry, I think a new URI WG and spec revision would be great as long as
the public has read and write access to the lists.

William, I think HTTP is out-of-scope for this discussion. We're talking
about URIs which have a much wider usage and no versioning mechanism.

Roy, I remember you saying something about adding a note that UTF-8 was
standard in the new document (replacing "It is expected that a
systematic treatment of character encoding within URI will be developed
as a future modification of this specification.") but this got some
people upset along the lines below:

On Saturday, July 20, 2002, at 06:50  PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Making such a change by fiat would be inappropriate.  Some additional
> information has to be passed by the client to preempt any inference of
> the high-bit octet codes.

Perhaps we could have some sort of signal, ala the Unicode BOM (Byte
Order Marker) to show the encoding was UTF-8?

--
Aaron Swartz [http://www.aaronsw.com]
4FAC4838B7D8D13FA6D92EDB4145521E79F0DF4B