Re: HTTP-NG brief at OMG TC. Sit in Interoper. Clearinghouse as well?

From: John Weiler <john_weiler@omg.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 07:29:14 -0400
To: Bill Janssen <janssen@parc.xerox.com>
CC: HTTP-NG Comments <www-http-ng-comments@w3.org>

Bill

> We hope that the architecture developed for
> HTTP-NG will help system architects (enterprise and otherwise) use the
> Web and HTTP in a more seamless fashion.

Great.  Is their a possibility you (working group) could come up with a high
level template that describes the interface (how we plug in) and key
functions/services (what it does) so we can incorporate your efforts in the
Interoperability Clearinghouse.  Our initial focus in on web, object and
component technologies and how they interoperate.

>  Our architecture does use ``object'' to refer to the ideas of
> objects already present in HTTP:  Web resources that support methods.

Understood.

> We are also cognizant of the importance of working with established
> communities of tool makers and tool users.  We've designed the HTTP-NG
> type system to allow it to be used by DCOM, CORBA, and Java RMI, with
> relatively little change to any of those systems.

Would be interested in defining that sub-structure that enables these things
to work together.

> I've been asked by the Internet SIG of the OMG to present the HTTP-NG
> architecture at the September meeting.  This is currently scheduled from
> 9-10:30 on Monday, September 14th.  If you have further questions at
> that time, I'd be happy to discuss them with you.

We will be conducting a meeting at the OMG TC as well. You are free to join
us in these discussions.  We will be meeting monday and tuesday, Sept
14/15.  I would be interested in your read on our position paper located at
www.omg.org/library/ic.htm

john

John A. Weiler
CTO & Founder, The OBJECTive Technology Group
Government Liaison Officer, OMG
8011 Washington, Ave.
Alexandria, VA 22308
703-768-0400(v) 703-765-9295(f)