Re: interface definitions - why not ISO IDL 14750

From: John A. Weiler, CTO and Founder <john_weiler@TheOTG.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 10:47:55 -0400
To: Ken MacLeod <ken@bitsko.slc.ut.us>
Cc: www-http-ng-comments@w3.org
Ken et al,

> Since there haven't been any replies on this issue, I'm hoping that
> it's just a sign of taking a wait-and-see stance on what we're doing.

Yes, you are right.  I was waiting to see where we were going.  ISO 14750
is a very robust IDL spec. that maps to most languages including Java, C,
C++, Smalltalk, Ada, COBOL, TCL, VBasic, and a few others.  Most vendors
already have IDL compliers on the market, and it is the IDL of choice for
the CORBA community.  Instead of re-inventing one, why not see if ISO
14705 fits first before inventing a different type of wheel. If it is
lacking, it might be easier to modify it in an open process vs coming up
with a competitive IDL.

With so much going on, using existing specs/technology would allow us to
focus on core http-ng capabilities issues and get to market faster.

My thoughts.....

john ;~)

John A. Weiler
CTO & Founder, The OBJECTive Technology Group
Government Liaison Officer, OMG
8011 Washington, Ave.
Alexandria, VA 22308
703-768-0400(v) 703-765-9295(f)