Re: Computer languages in langage tag

On 2010-04-14 12:06, David Woolley wrote:
> Ultimately HTML is about a light markup of material intended for human
> consumption.  As such, code, which long pre-dates the lang attribute,
> is intended to trigger appropriate presentation for printable material
> with a very tight syntax, and for which layout is likely to be
> significant. That material does not need to be in any well known
> computer language, but, to the extent that it is. and is not obvious,
> that information should be supplied explicitly, not in metadata.  It
> could be an ad hoc pseudo code, or it could be data for a program
> being described in the document.
So it's a presentation element, that haven't been removed yet, yes? I
understand dating issues and I admire authors for creating concept which
we have been using so long.

> It's not realistic for web browsers to have special formatting rules
> for every computer language, configuration file format, data
> interchange format, etc., whereas text to speech browsers really can
> benefit from knowing the human language, and even purely visual ones
> can adjust their spacing rules, etc.
In my concept content authors are providing rules for syntax
highlighting of their materials by using CSS. I'm not really sure if
this can be achieved right now.

> If you want to include complete, runnable, code on a web site, you
> should make it into separate resources.  HTML was, originally,
> intended as a glue for locating resources, not as the only format ever
> used.
No, I'd like to just describe my resources so in future (me or someone
else) can use it in application.

Should I move with this issue to other list?