Re: HTML 5 and XHTML 2 combined

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 09:25:19 +0000 (UTC)
To: Molte <molte93@gmail.com>

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009, Molte wrote:

> Why don't you go together combining HTML 5 and XHTML 2 to one future
> language to avoid a web standard war?
>
> You could take the advantages of both languages and drop the
> disadvantages. The only problem would be that people would probably not
> agree with each other in what's good and bad, I just still believe it's
> stupid wasting time developing two languages when only one of them will
> be used in the end.

As far as I'm aware all the advantages of XHTML2 that are not incompatible
with the goals of HTML5 have already been taken into HTML5 (e.g.
into one, compatibility with XML, etc).

Did you have any specific advantages of XHTML2 in mind?

> With the combined knowledge of both working groups we could have an even
> better language.

As the HTML5 spec's acknowledgements section indicates, the HTML5 working
group is already using the feedback and knowledge of many of the members
of the XHTML2 working group.

Cheers,