Form control names: namespace without parent form

From: Brian Beck <exogen@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 11:04:56 -0400
To: www-html@w3.org

Forms in HTML documents[1] has this to say about the namespace of control names:

    "The scope of the name attribute for a control within a FORM
element is the FORM element."

However, it's perfectly valid to have controls without a parent FORM
element, and the document doesn't seem to mention this:

    <button type="button" name="push">Push me!</button>

What's the namespace of the control name in this case?  What I'm
really wondering is, in the above case, would it cause any problems to
have an element with id="push" coexist with the FORM-less control
name="push"?

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#h-17.2

--
Brian Beck / Adventurer of the First Order / www.brianbeck.com