Re: XHTML Basic 1.1 and setting input field to numeric mode

Luca Passani wrote:
> Deprecating the style attributed makes a few assumptions that are not
> always true:
>
> - authors/developers have control over the whole page they are generating

This could be used as an argument for any feature whatsoever. Developers
do not control whether third-party markup uses the "marquee" element
either. Surely the key point is whether or not it is reasonable to
expect the third-party markup to continue to use the "style" attribute
rather than gradually shift to something else.

> - authors/developers do not need to generate CSS properties dynamically
> just like any other bit of markup

The "style" attribute is not necessary for this:

http://dorward.me.uk/www/css/inheritance/

http://www.hunlock.com/blogs/Totally_Pwn_CSS_with_Javascript

> - authors/developers can always use an existing style sheet
> class/property for their needs

I doubt this is an assumption at play here. If you can add a "style"
attribute, then you will normally have element-level control of the DOM,
and so could also add a "class" or "id" attribute. (There may be badly
built template/content management systems which are exceptional in this
regard, but, again, there may be such systems that generate "marquee"
elements.)

> - authors/developers do not need to test/prototype/experiment with  the
> look and feel of a page

I don't need the "style" attribute to do that.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis