Re: XHTML Basic 1.1 and setting input field to numeric mode

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 10:58:22 +0100
To: Luca Passani <passani@eunet.no>
CC: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@webbackplane.com>, Tina Holmboe <tina@greytower.net>, Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>, "Michael(tm) Smith" <mike@w3.org>, www-html@w3.org

Luca Passani wrote:
> My code is separating content from presentation for real. Your code
> isn't. Your code is a mess.

I really don't follow you. Neither set of outputs corrupt meaning by
making it reliant on presentation. However, your output mixes
presentation and content, such that the style and content are output in
the same place and styles cannot be overridden if necessary (because of
the "style" attribute's specificity). My output puts them in separate
places, and allows styles to be overridden if necessary. My code would
allows the creation of media-specific styles or multiple skins, but
yours would not, given the current limitations of the style attribute.
That's what I mean by your content being intrinsically bound to your
presentation.

The code differences simply reflect the different outputs. As such the
code differences in themselves are not ugly or hacks (in either case);
they are simply doing a different job.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis