Re: [Spam] Re: [Spam] Re: Question about HTML abbr and acronym tags

From: Barry Rader <brader@boldinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 09:31:33 -0500
To: www-html@w3.org

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
 > Tina Holmboe wrote:
 >> On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 12:44:16PM -0500, Barry Rader wrote:
 >>> Using Jukka's Method I could have to scroll up some 500 lines to see
 >>> the first instance.
 >>   It gets better. Given that you may not arrive at the content where
 >>   the content start, you might not even know it /has/ been expanded
 >>   somewhere.
 > If you jump into the middle of some page, you cannot expect to start
 > reading it smoothly. Why would abbreviations and acronyms deserve some
 > _special_ treatment? Strange _terms_ are much more difficult, especially
 > if they are common words in uncommon meanings.
Being that I do lots of Government work I often do bills and legislative
  pages. Now do you need to read and entire bill to get the entire
concept or merely do you need to understand a specific section that
applies to you?

I regularly need to use acronyms, abbreviations, citations and
definitions acronym and abbr tags give me some way to make the content
more meaningful when reading it. I suppose I could handle them all the
same with links to references and glossary terms but in an effort to
make things as human readable as I know how by using what tools that are
available to me.

 >>   So either the author need to expand the abbreviation/acronym at
 >>   every single instance, or he/she uses something like the abbr and
 >>   acronym elements.
 > You _would_ then be expanding them at every single instance, just in a
 > title attribute (which will be missed by most visitors).

Not every visitor would need the definitions. Those that do using most
browsers have the ability to hover over the terms giving them the
information they require.

 > Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
 > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Barry Rader