Re: Replaceable element for parameterising pages (was: Proposal for small enhancement)

From: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 20:18:45 +0000
To: www-html@w3.org

Sorin Schwimmer wrote:
> First, I have to admit that I wasn't aware of the extent of the functionality of the XML entities. After reading the reply, I yahooed (I'm not googling :-) ) and found details.
> But, HTML is not XML, so can I count on the same functionality in HTML? Do you have an example?

HTML is, theoretically, based on SGML, and therefore inherits various
capabilities from SGML.  In practice, browser developers have ignored
this SGML heritage and its implications.

XML was originally intended to be a cut down version of SGML, and its
entity constructs come from SGML.

--
David Woolley