Re: Replaceable element for parameterising pages (was: Proposal for small enhancement)

From: Andrei Eftimie <k3liutzu@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 22:02:41 +0200
To: sxn02@yahoo.com
Cc: www-html@w3.org

> The aim of my proposal is to have a mechanism (under UA management) in which the <r>'s are searched, if found, replaced, and afterward the new text is processed normaly.
>
> Try to accomplish what I'm describing with existing tools (see example in my first posting). At client side there is only JS, not an easy approach for my stated goal.

I do see some benefits here, although small. Maybe i am not realising
what you had in mind.

1. If you want to replace big chunks of information, i dare ask *why*
would you want to display it twice (or more times) on the same page?
If its not on the same page, i dare ask why you would want it replaced.

2. If its a small amount of information, i don't see any benefits
regarding bandwith, and not really regarding writing it /
maintenancing it.

Would you provide a more concrete example of what you had in mind?
Maybe we can find some better solutions.

****
As a side note. I'm not trying to ditch your ideea, there *may* be
some valid cicumstances in using it, but i fail to see where and why.
It sort of reminds me of the ideea of using variables into CSS,
something along these lines
http://meiert.com/en/blog/20080207/selector-variables/

--
Andrei Eftimie