Re: Radio and checkbox texts

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 02:34:32PM +0300, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> David Dorward wrote:
>
> > The current syntax, which is supported by browsers, is:

 [snip]

> This is a very, very poor example, because

  Actually, it's a very GOOD example of currently standards-compliant
  and supported syntax.

> a) it confuses sex with gender

  As does English, if we are to be picky. If we are to be even more
  so then the question arise whether there /is/ a difference. Not that
  it is important for this discussion.

> f) it is usually unnecessary for the declared purpose of the form, and
> hence illegal at least in EU countries, by the directive on protection
> of personal data, to ask for information like a person's "gender"
> g) it does not apply the international standard on internal coding of
> information about a person's sex in data.

  Somewhat off topic for the current debate.

--
 -  Tina Holmboe      Developer's Archive           Greytower Technologies
                   http://www.dev-archive.net      http://www.greytower.net