Re: proposed li:marker pseudo-class

From: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 11:14:24 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org

Mark Alford wrote:

> I have been trying to create a sectioned document using <ol>...</ol>.
> Each list item is a section, which has a header, which should typically
> be larger than the regular text in the section. If you do this in the
> natural way,

I'd consider that an abuse of HTML. As such, I don't think you have a
valid use case.  In any case, you are requesting a CSS feature, not an
HTML feature, so you should be using the www-svg@w3.org list.

> <ol class="section">
>  <li><h2 class="section">Title of first section</h2><br/>

I can't see any valid XHTML reason for the <br/> element.  (However, if
you use it, unless you restrict yourself to truly XHTML capable
browsers, you ought to have a space before the / to get reliable de
factor support on HTML browsers.)

--
David Woolley