Re: [Role Module] Namespace for 'role' Attribute

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 04:48:28 -0400
To: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Cc: www-html@w3.org

Hi, David-

David Woolley wrote (on 10/30/2007 4:17 AM):
> Doug Schepers wrote:
>> I have no problem with requiring namespaces per se, but I don't see
>> the rationale in this instance.
> Given that a namespace can be a single letter and a colon and that the
> main costs in using role are in getting commitment to the concept that
> it might be useful and thinking about sensible values for each
> attribute, or in choosing a high level authoring tool that does it all
> for you, my feeling is that including the namespace will act as a small
> extra deterrent to the tendency to embrace and extend, with negligible
> cost.

I don't understand your point.  Deterrent to whom?  Embrace and extend what?

As I said in my email, my proposal would still require the same
semantics, syntax, and UA conformance criteria as the XHTML Role
Attribute Module, and a normative reference to that specification.  Any
extensions of the attribute, such as different value types or special
interfaces (a CURIE microparser or normalizer, or a list API, springs to
mind), would still be done in updates to the Role Attribute spec (rather
than in host languages), so it would apply equally across conforming
host languages.

-Doug Schepers
W3C Staff Contact, SVG, CDF, and WebAPI